When we started the Dummy Guides back in 2009, we did so to illuminate
a a scene, genre or artist crucial but lacking clarity, an interesting
subject that few have cleared and concisely explained in a way
relevant to readers of this website. This next guide, however, focuses
on a genre so vast and talked about that its writing presented a
challenge: Detroit techno. This sublime, incredibly influential music
has been discussed and memorialised hundreds of times – just last
month, London promoters Dollop ran a series of events hosting the Juan
Atkins, Kevin Saunderson and Derrick May – that it resisted a clear,
simple story, much less one that would fit on one page.

For this reason, our guide is split into two parts. The first, below,
details what was later known as the first wave – the birth of the
revolutionary machine funk that became known as Detroit Techno. The
second, out next week, will follow the explosion overseas and the
changing shape of the form in its hometown. We hope you enjoy the
feature.

http://www.dummymag.com/features/2012/08/03/the-dummy-guide-to-detroit-techno-the-first-wave/

--
Best,