I don't know the family but I've heard of her shop before, I doubt it is a scam. If anything I'd view it as an introduction and also a good time to publish such a book. Gewgle maps are pretty creepy almost in my opinion, I've used it to look at my apartment before. You can defiantly look around places like heidelberg.org with their satellite/street view.

I wouldn't recommend walking/driving around with a book-guide though. As cliché as it sounds, thieves target people who look out of place and most of the robberies I hear about are for cash and or smart-phones. Read it at home or at the hotel, at the end of the day anything that brings money here is cool with me. Honestly though, the stereotypical Detroiter doesn't expect people to travel here as an end destination unless there is a big sports event or festival. I'm not sure if it will address segregation and etiquette though, I've heard Milwaukee is worse but personally it is the most segregated metro area I have ever been/lived in.

DS