I had to look it up because it was a memorable thing related to Peter
Namlook.  From Pete Ashdown March 28th 1994 -- 18 years ago!  He's
describing Namlook's set that ended up on Namlook IV.

http://www.discogs.com/Namlook-Namlook-IV/release/1360

From: pashdown@xxxxxxx (Pete Ashdown)
Subject: Mixmaster Morris/Pete Namlook SF
To: i...@techno.stanford.edu (Intelligent Dance Music)
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 1994 15:01:08 -0700 (MST)
Cc: sfra...@techno.stanford.edu (SF Raves)
Sender: idm-ow...@techno.stanford.edu

"Something different" was the general consensus on what people were
expecting from the completely ambient show with Mixmaster Morris, Pete
Namlook, and Spacetime Continuum.  There seemed to be a large excitement
over the night since for a large part the rave scene has run its course in
breaking new boundries.  In usual form, I'd flown into San Francisco for
the weekend to witness yet another event.

It was broadly advertised that there would be little to no dancing at this
show.  Pillows, beanbags, blankets and whatever were encouraged
accessories. The organizers had covered the dancefloor with a large padded
carpet, then put remnants around the top level balcony.  The decorations
were definitely homespun, but interesting nonetheless.  For the most part,
the room looked like a large psychedelic Arabian tent.  The sound itself
was not obnoxiously loud, just loud enough.  I sat near the speakers when
it started with no problems, but stuffed my ears with toilet paper later.
 As I moved around the room, I would take it out to hear better based on my
placement.

Initially, I sat watching Spacetime Continuum do his stuff.  Although
his collaboration with Terrence McKenna makes me green, I do enjoy his solo
music quite a bit.  He concocted an interesting, yet varied set.  His show
dipped into dance, but not for long.  It seemed that whenever a beat kicked
in, the crowd cheered and started to throb.  Otherwise, the audience looked
very much like a large slumber party.

When Mixmaster Morris finally came on, he crouched in front of the
carpet behind two 1200's and a Denon 2000 (yay!!).  The beginning of his
set started with an old recording of relaxation techniques that was used on
"Flying High" as well.  Over the course of the night, he brewed a mostly
beatless set.  I only recognized a few tracks, and in his first set, there
was no Irresistible Force that I could place.  The reason I say this is
because there were a couple of tracks that sounded dead-on in the IF style.
 Maybe we have another album to look forward to in the near future?

While Morris was spinning, Pete Namlook sat behind him messing with
some equipment on the desk.  It was a subject for debate as to whether he
was actually doing anything or not.  What I believe it ended up being was
the fact that he was doing setup for his performance.  When Morris
finished, Namlook took over immediately with some light airy ambience that
ranged from simple sweeps into odd electronic noise.  About half an hour
into this, THE BEAT KICKED IN.  The largest cheer from the audience yet
went up as this very slick
n' cool 110 bpm crusher bounced around the room.  Namlook let it fly for
a while, then when back to straight ambience.  This went on for a
performance of almost 90 minutes.  Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if the
whole thing was sent to DAT for later publishing.

Morris came back on and proceeded to mix into the morning.  This set
was airier, more angelic than the first.  I fell asleep twice, waking up to
what seemed like the heavens opening up for me.  Around 5:00 AM, the
ambient version of "Space is the Place" came on.  I smiled as he worked in
Psychick Warriors of Gaia's "Obsidian" underneath it.  I really think it
was the best thing he played all night.  What a brilliant track.  My only
complaint with his performance is that it wasn't much of a performance.  I
would have much rather seen him do something live and/or play more of his
own material.  This is why I feel Namlook bested him.

Overall an excellent show.  Certainly nothing like the Orb or Orbital shows
I was in town for previously, but a certain newness prevailed.  Besides the
fact that this was an over-21 show, I think there was an even older crowd
present. It seems that whenever a new idea comes around the highschool kids
are the last to embrace it.  The ambient slumber party may or may not take
off as a replacement for rave, but I certainly think it has some potential.
 I received one flyer from a DJ who I had seen do ambient rooms at Wicked
events advertising an ambient outdoor event.  If it wasn't so cold here
right now, I'd fire up the generator and do one of my own.  Instead, all I
have to do is
look forward to summer.