No, Freddy wasn't a part of this particular branch of the local scene.  Sad
thing about Freddy's situation, he was and always has been appreciated more
overseas than in his own city.
Fred and Thomas both experienced, separately, what was going on in the
Bronx in the 80s. Their histories had similar beginnings, but they came out
with different interpretations of their experiences.  Thomas stayed
committed to House - through his experiences at Club Zanzibar and in NYC
working at Vinylmania - he had a strong root in gospel inspired "Garage"
House music.  I think early on, while in the Bronx Thomas would play
Freestyle stuff mixed with his style of House.

>From what I know about Freddy - told to me from a former neighbor of his
that I happened to be a co-worker of - his roots were in the
Electro/Hip-hop scene emerging in the Bronx.

Whereas Thomas took that same scene, the Freestyle thing, and mixed it up
with the House music he loved - Freddy tended to play it more straight
ahead.  So, their paths never really crossed as far as I'm aware.  I know
Fred never played Thomas' parties and I'm not sure if they ever interacted
locally.  I think they were on two different trajectories.  Thomas
eventually played the Garage/Gospel sound exclusively.  Vocals were hugely
important to him and he was one of those old school DJs who could tell a
story through the records he played.
Not only that but he would talk to people on the dancefloor via the records
he played.  You hear stories of DJs of the caliber of Larry Levan who could
do this. Thomas was one of them.  He really knew how to tap into his
audience.  He was pretty amazing.

MEK