From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: 313@hyperreal.org, [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [313] Can Promoters & DJs resolve their differences?
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 20:04:34 EST

Greetings From TP!

I am sharing the following information with this list in hopes that it will
create a basis for positive dialog / discussion of how we as DJs & Promoters
work with each other to achieve the common goal of a banging party with a
"REAL RIGHT" vibe!
I especially hope that any aspiring / up-and-coming DJs and/or Promoters on
this list will take away something valuable which they can use.

Today Carl (the promoter behind the HOUSE EXPLOSION event) and I spoke
regarding the controversy centered on the flyer for the HOUSE EXPLOSION 2000
event. This morning I sent an e-mail to which he responded by phone and
agreed to ALL of my demands to resolve this issue of the improper use of my
name.

Today I received 11 e-mail letters from cats who see nothing wrong with a
person's name being listed on a flyer as a SPECIAL INVITED GUEST.
Furthermore, they asked why I was making such a big deal about it, and
thought I should be honored by the invitation. Well, I was honored! But how
fine is the honor if it is bitter sweet?
I understand that many of us on this list are in various countries throughout the world where the laws governing such matters are different. However, being
here in the USA, let me try to make my point by using an example . . . . .

. . . . LET'S SAY I DECIDED TO THROW A PARTY AT THE STATE THEATER IN DETROIT ON CHRISTMAS NIGHT. I THEN DRAFT A LETTER OF INVITATION TO MICHAEL JACKSON. I
THEN FAX THE LETTER TO MICHAEL JACKSON'S MANAGEMENT COMPANY. I NEVER GET A
RESPONSE FROM MICHAEL JACKSON, OR ANY OF HIS REPRESENTATIVES. HOWEVER, I TAKE
IT UPON MYSELF TO MAKE FLYERS ADVERTISING MY CHRISTMAS PARTY AT THE STATE
THEATER WITH SPECIAL INVITED GUEST - MICHAEL JACKSON!

I ASK YOU, MY FRIENDS, HOW LONG DO YOU THINK IT WOULD TAKE BEFORE MICHAEL'S
LEGAL TEAM WOULD TAKE ACTION AGAINST ME? WOULD I BE WRONG TO ADVERTISE
MICHAEL'S NAME AS A SPECIAL INVITED GUEST? AFTER ALL, I DIDN'T SAY THAT HE
WAS GOING TO PERFORM RIGHT? I DIDN'T EVEN SAY THAT HE WAS GOING TO BE THERE.
ALL I SAID WAS THAT HE WAS A SPECIAL INVITED GUEST. IN FACT, I COULD PROVE
THAT I DID INDEED INVITE MR. JACKSON BY PRESENTING THE LETTER ALONG WITH A
COPY OF THE VERIFIED FAX TRANSMISSION TO MICHAEL'S MANAGEMENT WHICH STATES
THAT I AM INVITING HIM TO ATTEND MY EVENT. SO I ASK YOU GOOD PEOPLE, IF MIKE, NOR HIS PEOPLE RESPOND TO MY INVITATION, DO I HAVE THE RIGHT TO USE HIS NAME IN ANY MANNER (EVEN AS A SPECIAL INVITED GUEST) IN PROMOTION OF MY EVENT?????

WHY DID I MAKE SUCH A BIG DEAL ABOUT THIS? BECAUSE I HAVE TO TAKE A STAND ON WHAT I BELIEVE IS RIGHT, NOT ONLY BECAUSE IT AFFECTS ME, BUT BECAUSE SOMEDAY
(IF NOT TODAY) IT COULD AFFECT YOU!
MY POSITION WAS BASED UPON A PRINCIPLE WHICH IS PERSONAL TO ME, BUT COMMON TO
ALL OF US.

FOR THE RECORD DELANO SMITH FELT AS I DID, AND ALSO EXPRESSED HIS CONCERN
OVER BEING LISTED ON THE FLYER. AS I UNDERSTAND IT,
HE TOO HAS RESOLVED HIS ISSUE WITH THE PROMOTER.

Peace & Respect,

TP
www.TerrenceParker.com
1.248.784.7233