http://www.detroitnews.com/story/entertainment/music/2015/05/20/originator-
kevin-saunderson-movements-past-future/27678797/

Originator: Kevin Saunderson on Movement's past, future

The Detroit techno pioneer (and one-time festival producer) talks
about Movement's history and his own Origins program

Adam Graham, The Detroit News

9:08 a.m. EDT May 21, 2015

Kevin Saunderson is, in many ways, the heart of Movement.

At this weekend's 16th annual event, Saturday through Monday at Hart
Plaza, Saunderson marks his 14th appearance at the festival. In 2005,
when the fest had no producer and its future was in jeopardy,
Saunderson stepped up and acted as organizer (and hired Paxahau to
produce a stage, paving the way for them to take over as producers of
the festival the following year). And without Saunderson's
contributions to techno music in its formative years, there might not
be any Memorial Day weekend techno celebrations in the first place.

At this year's Movement festival, Saunderson returns with his second
annual Origins showcase, where he'll shine a spotlight on the past,
present and future of techno music. His day of programming, Monday on
the Made In Detroit/ Thump stage, includes Detroiters DJ Minx, D.
Wynn, Dink & TK, Al Ester and Marc Kinchen; Chicago's Phuture and Lee
Foss; Toronto's Greg Gow, and Saunderson's sons Dantiez and DaMarii
Saunderson, who perform as the Saunderson Brothers. Kevin Saunderson
himself will close out the day by teaming up with fellow Detroit
techno pioneer Derrick May for a tandem performance under the banner
of Hi Tech Soul.

Kevin Saunderson's showcase is part of an adventurous three days of
music that includes performances by sizzling hot English electronic
duo Disclosure, Skrillex and Boys Noize's collaboration Dog Blood.
Also featured are Southfield-bred producer-DJ-sax man GRiZ, Detroit
rapper Danny Brown, Wu-Tang Clan rapper Method Man, Windsor techno
godfather Richie Hawtin and West Coast rap general Snoop Dogg, who
will close out the festival Monday night under his nom-de-DJ, DJ
Snoopadelic.

Earlier this week, we caught up with Saunderson at Hart Plaza to talk
about Movement, his involvement in the festival and dance music in
general.

Q: What is the concept behind your Kevin Saunderson Presents: Origins
showcase?

A: It's bringing new artists together with artists that were
influenced by me or Detroit. We had some great artists last year and
a welcome turnout from the fans. It's important to educate. We have
EDM and all these new divisions of music, so we want people to
understand the history of our music and why it is what it is. We also
like to celebrate it. It gives you a new kind of energy to do it for
another 10 years.

Q: How have you seen the rise of EDM affect electronic music culture?

A: At first I think there was a backlash against it, and I didn't
really pay attention to it. I did a show in Australia with Deadmau5,
and I was like, 'Who is Deadmau5? He wears a mouse?' I had no clue.
But he was really popular over there and I was like, 'OK, this is
what they do.'

But I think what happened is it helped give people more awareness of
the underground. It made them realize that there was more music than
just listening to Deadmau5 or David Guetta or Avicii. It started
opening festivals to experiment more with the techno, more house,
deep house and really giving a broad spectrum. So younger kids, they
might have had no idea about who Kevin Saunderson or Derrick May or
Carl Craig is, but they started finding out slowly. It started
cultivating at festivals and events we were playing, and we started
to get more awareness.

So it brought that out, and it helped the club scene too. People go
out to clubs more than they used to. And obviously festivals are just
popping up all over the country now. So I think it helps, as much as
people might slag the music. My son, believe it or not, he started
out listening to people like Avicii.

Q: How have you seen Movement grow and change over the years?

A: This festival for me is one of the top in the world, and I've been
to many. It's up there at the top. And everybody still wants to come
to Detroit. When I say everybody, I mean every DJ wants to play in
this city, because of what started here and how they've been
influenced. And again, that still connects to Origins, because we
have touched so many people around the world with our sound and our
music that they want to come here and play.

Also the production has gotten better. The guys from Paxahau care.
I've seen many clubs, many promoters, they keep the same sound
system, they don't upgrade, and they wonder in seven, eight years,
'What happened?' Paxahau doesn't do that. They put back into the
production, they do things right, they change little things every
year. And they're bringing talent in from all over the world.

Q: What did you learn from doing the festival yourself?

A: It was weird for me. I know I had the festival, the city wanted me
to do it, and it was March or something crazy, so just to pull it off
was good. Because I don't think there was going to be a festival if I
didn't take it, to be honest. I don't know who else would have been a
candidate to do it. I had to roll the dice and just make it happen.

I learned not to do a festival in three months! I learned a little
bit more about politics, because I had not-too-nice things happen to
me there. I'm not going to go into details — I try to keep it
positive. I think the biggest thing I learned is I had to do it, and
it's still going. So it was the right decision, even though it was
tough for me to not continue.

Also, I brought Paxahau in to work with me that year, and it helped
them for the next year. They were actually on the grounds, they were
part of it. So it helped them move forward with their planning, and
not maybe make some of the same mistakes that were made. So that was
an important factor.

Q: What is it like to perform with Derrick May?

A: We don't play together that much, maybe three or four times a
year. So when we come together, you never know how it's gonna work
out, but it always works out because we are fortunate where we
connect. Maybe it's because of the history of the music that we've
been through, and we feel like we're ambassadors to this music. So we
find a way to make the magic happen. I'm kind of like the pilot. And
Derrick is there, he does some amazing things. But I set the stage
and he works off of me, and then we feed off each other.

Q: Where do you see this festival headed in the future?

A: I think it's going to continue. It's love and happiness, and
people want to come here from around the world. And it's a great
location. It's perfect for this, it's perfect for us. I think the
future of the festival is secure. It should keep going.

We should have new talent. We should start seeing younger kids coming
up making music, producing, because they were influenced by somebody
out here. And they want to go back and they want to get that drum
machine, they want to get that keyboard, and they want to chase the
dream too.

And you're going to see that happen. You're going to see some more
local heroes come out of this city and cultivate the sound even more.
It's here, it's all connected.