From: hko...@jwkorth.com <Holly MacDonald-Korth>
Subject: RE: Female Producers
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2017 19:40:13 +0000

The simple fact that it is hard for anyone here to name more than a handful of
female
producers is, in itself, a reason to mention them. Clearly, the music should be
judged
for itself, but in an ecosystem that is 95% (guessing here) male, there is
indeed some
merit in just identifying female producers in order to hold them up, track down
their
music, and judge for oneself whether it is worthy of praise independent of the
context
of the maker.

However, the fact is that most music  cannot be judged independent of the
identity of
the maker. Techno is unique in that respect since it is largely visually
anonymous and
devoid of vocals. I proffer that from a male perspective it seems easy to say
“just
get over it and judge the music based on the music” but that does not take
into
account the possible reasons for wanting to listen to and seeking out female
produced
music, and the possible systemic challenges women and girls face both in
learning to
produce music and getting it published and distributed.

(I’m couching this with “possible” here because I’m LONG out of the
scene and the internet has changed a lot. But I don’t think it’s changed
many
ingrained attitudes and knee-jerk reactions….)