On Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/DarkScienceElectro/photos/a.1890014504355836/2102999539723997/

Must admit that I'm guilty of doing something the same, though my track titled
Deep Sea Dweller shared with this list around 5 years (or more) ago was perhaps
ahead of the current wave of copy-cats. I wasn't copying directly. I'm not that
good at sound engineering. I do try to make my own music anyway, and take
inspiration from many sources, primarily my own experiences. I'd really like to
make electro music inspired by the Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy, but again,
the idea of some-one else. My thoughts were more to try make electro that
doesn't take itself too seriously.

Boards of Canada have an album titled Music Has The Right To Children. I do see
that this is potentially controversial on this list, but art will always have
its imitators and people who are participants. Many people who like a kind of
music will wish to take part, and so it goes.

I'm fascinated by Detroit techno & electro, though I do think that while
Drexciya is an incredible source of inspiration that it's sad the way that they
are being recycled so desperately. I have recently done a mix for Tec-Troit
that doesn't feature a single Drexciya track, yet it still strongly features
the sound in the music of others. I have also included a lot of what I find
inspiring, and a thread of music over 37 years that included Kraftwerk,
Cybotron, Dynamix II, Aux 88 and more. No music exists in a vacuum. Aux 88 are
back in the studio, and I keenly await new work, from which I will surely feel
inspired too.

Taking inspiration from such a wholesome source, I don't feel guilty about, but
I do worry more now I don't have a good grasp of the cultural differences. I
think some of us fans can be misunderstood. Still, I don't think that should
kill our interest in the music and participating, but I do wonder what approach
- or none at all, is appropriate. After all, spinning tunes or making tracks,
we're all participants. We're not trying to steal culture, but some music is
just better than others. It's a matter of taste.