I agree 100%. The more I hear Deep Chord 9 (the only one I have), the more I
can appreciate the nuances. Any time you're talking about the difference
between separate M releases you're talking about a matter of a few degrees.
They're *very* simliar tracks - but unique. The Deep Chord sound definitely
distills the main BC/CR ingredients into a slightly housier format, so I can
see why Gilles is and has been so crazy about them. It's very subtle stuff -
dare I say, more subtle than BC/CR in that what distinguishes it will not be
apparent on one or even five listens. Of course it's not innovative on the
same level as BC/CR was, but they really haven't innovated much lately
either. We wouldn't be where we are today without them, they continue to
make amazing tracks, but they're not pushing the sound in a new direction as
much as say Kit Clayton, Vladislav Delay, or Jacek Siegnewicz. Obviously
innovation is not the only yard stick, which is why I like Deep Chord - and
I like it a lot. The differences are there, just give them a chance to
settle in. I felt exactly the same way the first few times I heard it. I
think Gilles said it best, even if they don't appear that way at first.

Even if you disagree with all that, you could always consider them BC/CR
tools, if that makes any sense.

Tristan
PHONOPSIA<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Lounge/5102
"FrogboyMCI" on AOL Instant Messenger

"Most people have the cataract.
They do not see what they look at.
Dum Dee Dum Dee Dum Dee Dum..." - Stereolab