I must not be a  proper techno DJ, because I listen to music and if I like
it, I do my best to figure out how it can work with other music.  Selecting
tracks because their rigid structure makes them easy to mix seems to put
the actual music last in DJing, which is absurd.

And man Omar S. As a production nerd, I can hear MOST of what he's up to on
his tracks but he's always doing something unexpected that nonetheless
works. The kick drum on "Psychotic Photosynthesis" is a good example. You
can hear it by itself in the beginning of the track, and on it's own, it
frankly sounds like shit.  But once he brings other sounds into the mix it
is EXACTLY the right sound for the mix.

And he's one of the best DJs I've ever seen play, not because he does
anything fancy, but because he's an amazing selector. The time I saw him in
a rooftop bar in Greektown, he showed up with no record box, just a stack
of test presses and white labels a foot thick. And everything he dropped
was INSANE.