If you're looking for the most helpful record stores, these are my picks:

1. Ambient Soho
Their staff is really really cool and very knowledgable about all genres of
musik.  Do some artist/label name dropping and they'll point you to some
great stuff.  They turned me on to so many new artists and labels...really
incredible experiences in there.

2. Atlas Records
Ok, this place is the bomb for the detroit sound and the help there is
really into the same stuff.  Again, tell them the kind of stuff you're
looking for and they'll expose you to all sorts of new stuff you've probably
never heard, but will love.  I discovered a lot of UK labels from that place
including Bluetrain.  That's also where I found my copy of 3MB (Maurizio)
and Juan Atkin's colaboration...very cool.

Now, I have to also mention Sister Ray.... it's a great store, but a very
eclectic collection so the staff isn't as good at helping you find cool
stuff.  But, that said, I found all sorts of great classic Tresor, Plus 8,
etc.  Tons of rare IDM stuff in there too.  You'll like it.  I found one of
Hawtin's first ever releases in there ("From Our Minds to Yours" on States
of Mind).

Anyway you look at it, London has some kick ass record stores...but, alas,
you'll get screwed a little bit on the exchange rate.  It's worth it.

GYS