I think you're missing the "point", to pun badly.

Listen to a remix ep or album some time and you'll see what I mean. The point of the music is not neccessarily to distill that key idea fundamental to it. The point is the artistic expression OF that point. I can think of numerous remix projects (Jaguar, for example) and two recent compilations, one where each artist had to express the idea of "love" and the other "osmosis". Now Jaguar can be distilled down to a few key components, but that hardly makes the cheap knockoff the same as the original the same as the jeff mills remix. There might be something to be said for finding a good cornerstone, but to say that the cornerstone IS the building I think circumvents (is that the right word) a vital aspect of artistic expression. That interpretation of the idea by the artist through the medium is important. Monet painted a picture of a pond with paint. I think that "distilling" that to either just paint or just a pond misses what makes that artwork special.

Just a thought.

From: "darw_n" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Williams, Howard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, <313@hyperreal.org>
Subject: Re: [313] err...
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 08:35:36 -0800

> minimal techno is an
> approach/attempt at expression, as is mahler's 5th: clearly mahler's works
> are far more dense, but to suggest that they could be 'distilled' into
> something more universal seems to miss the point.

and what is the "point"?

I am not being retaliatory here, but I am curios.  I have heard that so
much, but never heard it explained.  When ever I talk about art, another
artists always seems to chime in, "no way man, that's not the point of
art!!!", well, what is this "point", and who made it law?

Anyways, to protect my statement, for the fun of it, I am willing to bet the
mahler's very first glimpse of his 5th. was only a few notes, in his head,
he heard these notes and felt the need to expand on them, I mean surely he
didn't have the entire piece already there in his head!!!

If we can agree on that, than we can see that 1.) all music starts from a
super simple point, 3.) you can strip a song or piece down to reveal its
core, this few notes in the artists head...

darw_n