hello,

Techno and jazz can very much share the same vocabulary if you look
beneath the surface window dressings and look at the actual music. It is
all about 7ths, 9ths, and 11th's using a I-II-IV chord progession.
Techno can totally do anything musically that can be done in jazz. Yes,
there isn't the use of poly-rhythm, or odd time signatures that is
common in some jazz, and the musical structure is utterly rigid, but the
chord voicings, progressions, and musical scales are totally compatible
and even necessary for that good ole' Detroit'y feel.

I-II-IV is about a jazz as it gets.

I think Detroit musicians site jazz because of a similar emotional
feeling. Because really, good techno is just a few bars of jazz dragged
out for 4 minutes with a funky-a** shuffeled 909 rhythm behind it.

take care,
mt

ps philosophical techno discussions are for wankers, I used to be one of
those wankers until I discovered that talking about dance music is one
of the most profoundly unimportant things you can possibly do. You are
going to be dead in a few decades, stop wasting your time blabbling and
fretting about this silly crap.

err, ok, end of public service announcement.