The following article was by Jeff K, from a Dallas Magazine called The
Vibe, August 1991.

Recently John Acquaviva, cofounder of the Detroit techno label +8
Records spent a weekend in Dallas. He came to check out the scene, and
guest dj at Dallas' premiere techno spot and on Edge Club 94. The
support for him, his label and the scene in general confirmed his
suspicion there was definitely something happening in big D.

 Acquaviva's been a DJ for ten years. In that time the Italian-born
27-year-old has collected over fifteen thousand records, started his own
label, and performed worldwide. To understand his success, what we gonna
do right here is go back!

 John's first attempts at creating his own sound came when he moved from
Canada to Buffalo, New York in 1988, to start a hip-hop label called
"Flavor records". He released a four-song EP by Scott Down, the label's
first and only artist.
The A-side, "Ring My Phone", employed samples from the disco classic
"Ring My Bell"; John did all musical production. Only 300 copies were
pressed and sold locally in Buffalo.

 "The EP was very raw", John recalls. "The ideas were there, but
something went wrong in the mastering and it didn't quite come out as
planned." Unfazed, he moved to Detroit to check out his roots. He was
impressed by early Detroit DJs like "The Wizard" (who turned out to be
Jeff Mills of Underground Resistance), Derrick May, Kevin Saunderson,
and Juan Atkins, the latter three had radio shows. John shared with them
the same techno roots. Bands like Kraftwerk, Depeche Mode, and Gary
Numan. John was especially intrigued that these DJs played their records
faster than normal, which seemed to increase the energy level.

 John developed his DJ style during the disco era, when long smooth
mixes were the norm. But once he encountered the hip-hop style of DJing,
his style changed; for example, take two copies of a record, find your
favorite part and play it over and over, then move on to the next
record, creating a lightning-fast collage of tracks. Such tricks earned
him the nickname "Jacquaviva +8".

 While frequenting the Detroit club scene, John met his partner and
close friend Richie "Rich" Hawtin. Richie was DJing at the Shelter and
also doing edits for Full Effect Records. He and John had similar ideas
about what they wanted to achieve. Their first project was some
megamixes for Derrick May and Kevin Saunderson; unfortunately, these
never came out. However, the work cemented John & Richie's partnership.

 The more John played records by originators, the more motivated he
became to lay down his own ideas on wax. With the money he saved DJing
and equipment he built in his studio, he & Richie embarked on their own
venture: the birth of +8 records. The name is taken from a formula:
faster equals exciting equals +8.

 The first release on +8 was the "States of Mind" EP, 200 copies of
which were pressed on distinctive red vinyl. The record sold well;
orders came in for more. The second release, an EP called "We Shall
Overcome" by close friend Kenny Larkin, also did well.
http://www.htcomp.net/stephen/kennylarkin.ram

 But it was the third +8 release in 1990, "Technarchy", by Cybersonik,
that sent the label over the top. A healthy demand in Europe for Detroit
techno made timing ideal. Champion Records signed +8 for a European
distribution deal, opening a
whole new market for the young Detroit label. Nearly every release since
has scored impressive results. Just when everybody began doing
"technarchy" soundalikes, Cybersonik released "Backlash", a track that
put them miles ahead of the copycats. Other +8 releases include Kenny
Larkin's "Integration" EP; "Psyance"; "F.U.S.E."; "From Our Minds to
Yours Vol1", a double LP; and "Final Exposure", a collaboration with
Joey Beltram.

 Success brought a chance for the +8 posse to tour Europe. John found
the performing atmosphere to be significantly different abroad. "DJing
in Europe is quite different then America, where each town has its own
core group into the scene but in Europe its incredible, there are two to
three thousand people, all into new music and new ideas."

 John toured "Benelux" - the Belgium/Holland/Luxembourg circuit. He also
participated in the recent Cybersonik live show in Amsterdam with Fierce
Ruling Diva and Frequency. Judging by audience energy level, the tour
was a tangible success.
John also appreciated the difference in attitude. "It's nice to be in a
room with thousands of people where you don't feel like a freak or a
minority".

 In closing we discussed the current state of dance music, techno and
the future of +8. John was quick to respond: "The current state of dance
music is overwhelming. As far as techno is concerned, most DJs who want
to do stuff can afford the equipment to put their ideas down, and that's
exactly what's happening. Each week brings great new tracks. But the
people who make the difference are the crowds. The movement is the
people, and they are the party. The DJ/artist just helps the party. They
want me there because they like my ideas on music and I can give them
another window to having a good time."

 As far as the future of +8, the label based in Detroit with it's eyes
on the world...what else but a +8 WORLD TOUR starting this fall. Also,
be on the lookout for a new F.U.S.E. ep. John wouldn't give in to
anymore questions about the future, however he did leave me with one
last quote that sums up his ideology. "OPEN YOU EYES AND YOUR MIND WILL
FOLLOW......"