Another cool 'breakthrough' story is the one of Finish house genius Jori
Hulkkonen:

He discovered early house and techno in his above-the-polar-circle town Oulu
through a Swedish radio show. He didn't know for the world where to get those
records and that kind of music so he decided to make his own and started buying
old equipment wherever he could find it. After a while he started sending tapes
to various labels he had discovered through frequent visits to Helsinki (where
he had finally found some house records). A few months later his mother told
him that there was an American gentleman on the phone for him...it turned out
to be Carl Craig who wanted to give him a contract on Planet E. Jori was so
overwhelmed he couldn't answer immediately so Carl gave him a few days to think
about it. The following day he had just about made his decision when the phone
rang again...it was a French gentleman calling from his car. It turned out to
be Laurent Garnier who immediately offered him a contract for a whole slew of
12"...

Talk about choices, choices...

RD