Re: [313] Detroit techno isn't techno?

"People always say that Detroit was the beginning of
everything. I think that the early so-called Detroit
techno is more house than techno. And when you're
talking house it's clear where that got started. Not
Detroit, but Chicago. I have many friends in Detroit
and regularly DJ at the Motor Lounge."

attn: all "detroit techno" haters

1.) insecurity leads to defensive behavior.

on the offensive:
1.) if your friends dj at the motor lounge, they probably do play "house
music". in detroit clubs techno is hardly performed, and even rarer are djs
bangin it out.
2.) as far as who was first, i wasnt around in 1981/2, but i will think that
there was no "techno" music before cybotron.
3.) as far as detroit is concerned, how many instances has the term "detroit
techno" been heard or written? many thousands of times? obviously a large
number of people acknowledge the idea that there is a "detroit techno" out
there.  yeah, it builds off all kinds of music (including "chicago house")
(including stuff parents subject their kids to) (including church hymns)
(etc.). ive never heard of a baptist minister upset that a guy is labeling his
music as "detroit techno" without giving any credit to his church choir
(baptist techno?), although god does get a lot of credit on detroit labels.

"detroit techno"

music is one of the means by which people locate themselves on earth-tony