What's curious about this notion of Early Techno (giving it the proper
museum label) being just basically house is that there were really two
things going on in 1988-92 in Detroit (OK, *three* things including the
MI but there aren't any tapes of that that I know of!).  One was a series
of commercial remixes by Nu
Juan and Kevin and some others that fit in with the club-friendly Big Fun/
Good Life kind of sound.  I really love these tracks because the production
is good, the tunes are well above average and you have nice touches like
Juan's distinctive basslines.  And I would hope that these paid pretty well,
which was a factor during the time when the majors were trying to assimilate
the more innovative stuff.

But that was also the period when Detroit techno as we know it now was
born, with both the 'first' and 'second wave' producers putting out a wide
range of really creative stuff.  You have KMS' more abstract/harder ones,
the development of what became UR, and so on.  All this is on a separate
track from the remix material.  I think Kevin Saunderson's history during
this time is the most interesting because he produced both fantastic house
tracks and those seminal dark techno ones.

phred