Okay... I've held myself from pressing the reply key throughout the course of this thread, but I have to stick up for my admiration of the Tokomak 002 record.

I have only the 002 record, and Have yet to get a listen from the 001 album, but the track produced by Don Williams on 002 is absolutely blinding to me! Its on Side one track one (I beleive), and it has a violin that plays a super catchy line. I would have to disagree on the comment that the volume fading is annoying (if this is the track you were talking about), and that the filtered drum kit was immature (?I don't see how music can be immature...?) and lacked production ideas. I do know, however, that when I heard this in the record store on my overseas trip, it was a must buy from moment # 1. Everytime I play this track out, everyone screams and shouts at the breakdown, especially when the half beats start and biuld into the solo violin once more... I think its easy to pick tracks apart, (especially when you see some competition in it - i.e. if you produce tracks also), and that we should all (of course) have our opinions, but that we should not totally rip into musical works. I think that way of thinking is far to close-minded, and that the understanding that all tastes of music are different and everyone has their own, is a much better way to present it.

Sorry I wasted so much time explaining a topic that many will find as "off topic", but I really love that song. One of my favorites.

Dennis Donohue

From: "Todd Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "313@Hyperreal.Org" <313@hyperreal.org>
Subject: Re: [313] TOKOMAK online mp3s
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 22:55:59 -0800

At Peter's suggestion I went back and relistened to TOKOMAK 2.  Here is my
extended review.

Track 1: Bronson's Gruv:

great bassline and nice synth stab (again sounds a little too much like a
preset to me).  the thing that ruins this track is all the other percussion
(hihats and 909 like claps) chugs like an off kilter horse and ruins any
gruv you might have been enjoying at the outset of the track.  Filtering to
a subtle comeback after the breakdown the track makes all the same mistakes
again. Trying to hard to compete with something like Aril Brykha 'Groove La
Chord' and coming up short.

Track 2:  The Rhythm Culture:

Horrible claps from the start (reminiscent of some old progressive house
records), bad samples (my girlfriend says it sounds like a horrible garbled
dog) and even worse the progressive old Terry Lee Brown Jr accented crash
cymbals overused to bad effect. Again transparent filtering (enough to make
one seasick).  I can't say enough bad things about this track.

Track 3: Expanding Possibilities:

Possibly the best track on TOKOMAK 002.  Very old Detroit, with the
exception of the annoying use of the the volume fade on the synth.  The
percussion is by far the grooviest of the three (girlfriend bobs her head up
and down to this one).  TOO MUCH FILTERING shows the lack of production
maturity and ideas.  While the breakdowns are short and well nicer than any
others, the lack of movement throughout the percussion makes this track just
as stale as the others.

As they said in Ninja Scroll:

'Power with out Perception is useless and only a tool'

todd