I can't believe the things I read on this list.  This list, which uses
the works of Alvin Toffler in vain and frequently evokes the imagry of
Blade Runner and music created in a present future dystopia, and then I
read crap like this:

"Sounds horrible, going through the box is part of the artform. It would
make it too calculated, you can't flick through your box, land on
something
else and think hmmm, now maybe I can play that instead."

"The smell of brand new vinyl out of the sleeve, the
crackle of the record under the needle... there's
something spiritual and special about vinyl that no
other media can replicate."

"Pushing buttons has nothing to do with dj'ing as far as I am concerned.
Imagine the joy of finally finding that record you've been
after for several years, and then compare it to downloading that track"

"Seeing a set being pieced together with records and
the DJ making the set come together is part of the
thrill and artform."

"Do you really want to watch some dude just press a few
buttons on a computer, a pre-planned set, there could be no spontaneity,
by default. It would be as boring as hell. Any fool could use the new
system as it would be a relative cinch."

"I can't see too many house DJs adopting the new thing"

"Like aren't some of the hip-hop turntablists establishing a way of
notating scratches?"

I also sometimes wonder about about the reading ability of people on
this list.  I seem to recall saying "the only aspect of DJ'ing that it
changes is the carrying of vinyl and selecting of tracks to play."  Do
you people have that much difficulty with English?  Is the Aussie
dialect really that difficult that it doesn't penetrate the quoted
sentence?  I will break down the sentence:

*the only aspect of DJ'ing that it changes* - this implies there is only
one aspect, but there are actually two, now I see why you are all
confused.
*is the carrying of vinyl* - this is aspect one, the DJ doesn't have to
carry around as much vinyl anymore.  How much less is up to the
individual.
*and selecting of tracks to play* - this is the other aspect, the DJ no
longer has to flip through a box of records.

PAY ATTENTION!!!!!  THE PERFORMER STILL MUST BUILD A SET, MUST STILL
PLACE THE NEEDLE ON A RECORD ON A TECHNICS 1200, MUST STILL MATCH BEATS,
MUST STILL CREATE A MOMENTARY EVENT, MUST STILL LOOK FOR HO'S, MUST
STILL TRY NOT TO KNOCK THE NEEDLE WHEN BLOWING COKE, MUST STILL DECIDE
IF RECORD 'B' IS SUITABLE TO PLAY AFTER RECORD 'A', ETC ETC
ET-FU**ING-CETERA.....

So with that out of the way and because I am bored and incredulous I
will respond to each of these in order.

"Sounds horrible, going through the box is part of the artform. It would
make it too calculated, you can't flick through your box, land on
something
else and think hmmm, now maybe I can play that instead."

--> How the hell is looking through a box for something you can't find
and maybe left at home part of any artform?!?  And is this any different
than the DJ looking through the porn folder on their computer and
finding some track and thinking "oh yeah that's where I downloaded that
stupid thing, my mouse must have slipped while I was typing with one
hand, lemme play this now because I am so spontaneous and
un-calculated."

"The smell of brand new vinyl out of the sleeve, the
crackle of the record under the needle... there's
something spiritual and special about vinyl that no
other media can replicate."

--> Oh my God....If this is so important to you and there is a big
enough market then I'm sure each unit will come with an ebony rod and a
piece of rabbit fur so you can make all the static electricy you can
manage, or just buy a nitrous balloon (empty it how you like, I don't
care) reinflate the balloon, rub it on your head and then touch the
leads on your equuipment, you'll get all the crackles your heart
desires.  Similarly if you really want crackles I'm sure someone will
build you Kai's PowerCrackles for SoundForge.

"Pushing buttons has nothing to do with dj'ing as far as I am concerned.
Imagine the joy of finally finding that record you've been
after for several years, and then compare it to downloading that track"

--> Imagine the joys of actually learning how to play the bass, and then
play the piano, and then play the drums, and then putting it all
together to make a song, not just press the "Drums" button and having
instant rhythm.  AND ANYWAY WHO SAID ANYTHING ABOUT PUSHING
BUTTONS?!?!?!  This is not some button pushing technology, like all
positive technologies it's a liberating technology, it liberates people
from carrying lots of weight and protects them from possible paper cuts
on sharp sleeves.

"Seeing a set being pieced together with records and
the DJ making the set come together is part of the
thrill and artform."

--> I agree, but I don't recall saying that Final Scratch connects to
the Internet, downloads Paul Oakenfold set 01-01-01 and proceeds to play
it allowing the DJ to wander off to the VIP room and get some oral sex
treatment.

"Do you really want to watch some dude just press a few
buttons on a computer, a pre-planned set, there could be no spontaneity,
by default. It would be as boring as hell. Any fool could use the new
system as it would be a relative cinch."

--> See above.  Also, how many times have you heard the same set from a
DJ a year or so later.  Just because an option for a pre-planned set
doesn't exist currently doesn't mean that many DJ's don't already have
their "set" and are just on automatic pilot.  As for "any fool..." I
can't believe you are actually
stupid enough to really believe that, especially not on this list, a
list about music made with machines that I *KNOW* the exact same thing
has been said about, "any damn fool can turn on a machine and make
sound, but that's not music, music is made by a bunch of sweaty guys in
a garage annoying the neighbours by wailing away on plastik/steel/wooden
implements."  Think before you squeek.

"I can't see too many house DJs adopting the new thing"

--> The modern DJ is a product of evolution, the future DJ will also
be.  As for house DJ's, the main propent of this system is Acquaviva,
last I checked he was pretty "house" maybe he's changed in the last
three weeks.

"Like aren't some of the hip-hop turntablists establishing a way of
notating scratches?"

--> Oh yeah did I mention the name, Final Scratch, it hasn't been fully
professionlly turntablist tested yet, but it scratches exactly like you
would expect.

Ok there's one thing people may not realize; this music is mostly
digital, so the natural and obvious evolution of this music is to a
system of digital distribution, and in order for this to be effective
there needs to be a platform creating demand for music in digital form,
preferably one that maintains all the positive aspects of the current
paradigm, and addresses the shortcomings as well.  Like I said, this
system removes the weight of vinyl (which sucks) and removes the need
for searching through a box, which I assign a neutral value as it's
neither a positive or negative aspect.

One of the biggest things that digital distribution will address is
artificial scarcity.  Physical music is limited by it's ability to be
replicated and distributed.  I hear some of you whining about "now
everyone will have my limited edition SesameStreet BootieHouse Mix by
Pink Floyd" yeah so what?  If you actually have to base your sense of
self-worth on how many fu**ing obscure records you have then you have my
sympathy and I will do all I can to prevent you from losing more of your
self-esteem.

Good GOD, if you people can't deal with technological and social change
now I'd hate to see you when you're 50+.

Tosh