:::Newcomers let the quality of the set fall ENTIRELY on their records,
:::instead of using their SKILLS to pump up the crowd.  Give some people
:::nowadays a crate of records from just 8 years ago & they
:::wouldn't know what
:::to do with themselves.

That's a bit of a generalised statement, there are a lot of bedroom dj's who
can perform a variety of tricks and skills that would work just aswell as
older established names.
Surely there are bad and good newcomers aswell as bad and good established
dj's there is also a variety of ways to mix some dj's can get a crowd moving
by just playing records at the right time others get them going with faster
moving mixes.
I think there are some very good exponents of both these styles and as many
have said already the music being played makes a difference as to which
style of mixing suits.
Surely a good dj is someone who knows when to play a record for a long time
and when to play only a minute or so???

::  To me, I would rather hear someone using THEIR
:::creativity with a bunch of deep, sick tracks (see Traxx, Dj Hell, Theo,
:::Carlos Souffront, etc.) to make a special moment on the
:::dancefloor rather
:::than the latest remix of (insert your fave cheesy childhood pop
:::song here)

find this a bit amusing when Hell's latest FUSE album comes with remixes of
frankie goes to hollywood and donna summer as well as remixing barry
manilow's copa cabana recently.

don't get me wrong I think Hell has done these well but i think this just
proves that those who are good can pull of something that would normally
sound bad and make it work

imho
andrew