I could not agree with you more, it is shocking. I was lucky enough to play at Montreux the year before the switch and it was beautiful. It was a dream of mine. Last year I went and could not believe how much the vibe had changed. They broadcasted the festival on T.V. and it seemed to be a glorified Ford commercial. This was very disinchanting. I could only imagine that the first Montreux festival had to be like the DEMF, full of exciting new idea's and brimming with the sense of community, music and greatness. Ford's ambition is to make money and to cloke the fact that people are dying in there S.U.V.'s. I could smell it in the air at last years Montreux. That's why in this day and age something like the DEMF is so critical to the Detroit community and the world, because it is about one thing, music.

From: "kelli b kavanaugh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "joshtwentythree" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, <313@hyperreal.org>
Subject: Re: [313] could be...montreaux
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 17:06:19 -0500

detroit's annual jazz festival _was_ called the montreaux-detroit jazz
festival from its inception in 1980 through 1999.  at that point, the
relationship between the two cities' festivals ended. in 2000, the jazz fest
changed its name to the melodic-sounding "ford detroit international jazz
festival"

i know it's shocking to see an automobile manufacturer's name attatched to a
cultural event in detroit...

kbk