The 313 Station is going strong a month after inception. We have 60 tracks
from TV-99-AD, Arne Weinberg, R.V. Agellen, Christian Bloch, Southern
Outpost, Chaircrusher and a number of lesser-known but equally talented list
members. The Arne Weinberg material in particualr fits the mission of this
list. Pure Detroit in the Every Dog Has It's Day sense. However, I've been
floored by the quantity of pure "old-school" techno (if you will)
contributed to the list. The station could practically serve as a
description of what this list is about.

Anyway... I'm going to keep my reviews to the lesser-known folks in the
interest of bandwidth. Hopefully you'll check it all out though! Some of my
favorite artists/songs in no particular:

i'majin:

Three guys from Lansing you may have seen live. It's definitely a band but
with heavy 313 techno overtones. Imagine something in between Shoe Gazing
and lo-fi techno. It's really interesting to hear guitar gone techno. "Hard
Ball" is probably the most friendly to the electronic purist's ears. I'll
leave the commentary short though, because this material is distinct enough
that you really need to hear it to get the idea.

daedau:

Long-time quiet listmember Dave Dawson speaks up with 3 great new tracks.
"FR" is a track for the floor, but with a really subtle heady element to it
too. "Laconic trk" is Detroit house??? Hard to classify, but probably my
favorite. Lots of soulful chords and a driving beat. "Duel" is a really
interesting collision of two of his tracks. Must be heard!

Scott Valance:

"Rogue Electronics", "Rogue Electronics - Lonely Resistor" and "Skyscraper
Ruins" are all very soulful in a straight-from-tha-D way. Reminds me of a
lot of Transmat material.

Zarathustra:

Better known on 313 as the Deliverator, Jim's track "Hallucination LXV" has
been one of my favorite songs at mp3.com for quite a while. He also makes a
lot of other non-techno with a Detroit edge that's equally good. See "Sufi
Twilight" on his site in particular.

tristenpolar:

No, it isn't me! :) tristenpolar hails from Belfast. He's making some trully
unique music, situated somewhere in between the THX releases and Basic
Channel, but definitely it's own animal. Every one of his tracks takes a
bizarre twist at some point. Beginning and endings are scarely recognizable.
You'll likely be hearing more from him soon. All of his tracks on the
station are worth a listen.

GYS:

Todd doesn't do a lot of self-promo, but his dubby, basic channel-esque
material is above and beyond most of the clones. Some have calle dhim a
clone, but I think that's a failure to pay attention to the details, or
possibly a failure of mp3. Not only does his music have a distinctly dark
character, it varies a lot from track-to-track. "AVI" is my favorite to
date. Brilliant percussion work to boot, which isn't always something you
can expect from dubby techno. He also veers into ambience from time-to-time,
which you can find on his site.

Statik_:

"Spiritualized Frequencies" is the first and only offering from this
mysterious producer. This track gets better and better each time I hear it.
It reminds me somewhat of THX material, but also quite distinct. Dubby
melodic techno.

Kevin Krahel:

If Dan Curtin, Titonton or Todd Sines trip your trigger, this likely will
too. Internal is my favorite, but they're all good. I'll keep it succinct
since I think Ohio techno is a very apt descrition.

DJ Pacific:

Nick Walsh offers some older material that reminds me of early Carl Craig
ala Interplanetary Beats. I'm really excited about the new material given
the quality of this work with limited equipment. The chords are gorgeous and
the beats relentless.

CLC101:

Another quiet listememer offers a number of pure Detroit tracks. "- b. h. o.
t. m. n. -" is my favorite. It creeps up on you. Very deep material that
takes its time. The other tracks showcase his diversity. He also has a video
on his site. Cool stuff!

Sneak Thief: Michael Morin produces some trully original electro. His latest
offering, "Hunger" has a completely sinister video-game-gone-wrong feel to
it. Scary music!!!

And then I have four newer tracks up as well. "Ape & Bone" and "Frosting"
are both big leaps forward for me.

Hope you find the time to check it out. I wouldn't spend the time writing
all of this if I didn't think the music was as good as most of what you find
in stores today.

http://www.mp3.com/stations/313

Tristan
Lots of music, pics and info here: