d. thong,
Ani is very right. The reason that people create so much mystery
behind their names is because they consciously decide to remain anonymous.

I don't know how publishing/licensings work in this case,
since I have never released a record anonymously, but I am sure that
the artists in question are in no more danger of having someone make
"tone by tone covers" of their tracks than someone who puts their full
name on their albums.

If you mean credit from the fans, many artists are content enough knowing
that people out there are wanting to release, purchase, say good things
about their art.