At 08:10 AM 3/24/2001, beautiful individual wrote:
therefore, ordinary joe soap on the street, who like that kind of music, thinks that seaman is an amazing dj, since, technically, his mix would be flawless. this is a misrepresentation of his talents. many of these mix cds state on the cover that they are digitally mixed, but how many consumers know what this actually means?

I would think that anyone who knew enough to think someone an "amazing dj" due to the "flawless"ness of a mix would understand what digitally mized means.

Isn't it all about the resulting product and it's effect on the end-user, anyways? Whether you mix vinyl, cds, or tracks on a computer, realtime or previously recorded... isn't it about how it sounds in the end?

Wasn't there a similar argument made by traditional musicians when synthesizers first started to pop up(same for drum machines, etc)? A general "they're cheating" attitude, or something to that effect... Eventually, I think it all distills down into how the final product sounds, not as much how much skill (talent and creativity yes, skill no) and good timing and luck it took to get to that point.

It's the "misrepresentation of talent" part that bugs me... a djs job is to choose tracks, combine them into a set, to the end of creating a synergistic piece that entertains whoever listens. It's been shown that it doesn't require vinyl, or even cds. It's the human ideas and creativity at work behind that process that is the special, unique part, and that will exist as long as there's people out there willing to listen, computers or not.

-j

[EMAIL PROTECTED]      -           0x514DB5CB
he who lives these words shall not taste death
becoming nothing yeah yeah
forever liquid cool