Yeah...that was kind of weird, especially considering the Bangs
character was dancing round the radio studio to 'Raw Power'. I think it's
a context thing: the same rage that fuelled the MC5 & Iggy & The Stooges
to react with extreme sonic violence against the white-bread conformity of
their culture, made that t-shirt a rebellious gesture. Sort of proto-punk,
1973-style "I'm So Bored With the USA" (remember Bangs toured with The
Clash). Bangs, like Lou Reed & Iggy, was one of the first punks.

You'd have to ask Oscar-winner Cameron Crowe for the real lowdown, but
that's my take. The shirt isn't anti-Detroit music or bands, but just the
opposite: anti-society, anti-'roll over like a good puppy' consumerism,
anti-mindless complaceny...the Bangs equivalent to "Search & Destroy." He's
siding with Stooges in their war against normalcy.

Bangs was a great rock writer, but not infallible. Has anyone ever read
the notorious hatchet-job he did on Kraftwerk? I think he heard & saw the
future & couldn't handle it. He started having nightmares about robots &
technoid automatons taking over the world. Maybe the car-building robots
of the Detroit auto factories haunted him & he saw The Stooge's maniacal
rock 'n roll energy & gloriously undisciplined approach as the antidote
to regimented beats. I mean, could you ever imagine Kraftwerk writing a
song entitled "Loose"?

Wes