From: Nick Walsh [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 26. märts 2001. a. 15:55
To: 313@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: [313] fair play to juan atkins

Hi,

> I would think that anyone who knew enough to think
> someone an "amazing dj"
> due to the "flawless"ness of a mix would understand
> what digitally mized means.

I don't think so...

> Isn't it all about the resulting product and it's
> effect on the end-user,
> anyways?  Whether you mix vinyl, cds, or tracks on a
> computer, realtime or
> previously recorded... isn't it about how it sounds
> in the end?

No... It's about the ride not just the finale...

> Wasn't there a similar argument made by traditional
> musicians when
> synthesizers first started to pop up(same for drum
> machines, etc)?  A
> general "they're cheating" attitude, or something to
> that
> effect...

Totally, if you judge a dj on how the final product
sounds, then fine. If you judge someone on the
techinical skill required then that's cool too. Mr.
Semen or whatever his name is gonna disappoint if he
does a live set and it isn't the same quality as his
cd "mix". The technology is there tho...

Eventually, I think it all distills down
> into how the final
> product sounds, not as much how much skill (talent
> and creativity yes,
> skill no) and good timing and luck it took to get to
> that point.

That's how many closed minded individuals feel... It's
not the years of research scientists have done to get
this cure for cancer. Just that it works... If it
doesn't work tho... Do you still pay them?

> It's the "misrepresentation of talent" part that
> bugs me... a djs job is to
> choose tracks, combine them into a set, to the end
> of creating a
> synergistic piece that entertains whoever listens.

John Cage is really boring and weird but I respect the
work he has done...

Later,
Nick (Dj Pacific:)