On Thu, 29 Mar 2001 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I've been working my Roland R8mk II into my DJ set. It's getting easier to
> do, but there's a lot of fine tuning involved with the tempo and pitch
> control. I've got to do it by ear, no BPM counters or MIDI out on my mixer
> or anything like that. Matter of fact, I'd probably prefer not to have it.
> Extra stuff takes the fun out of it.

Actually what would REALLLY be useful would be a little MIDI Master Clock
box, with a high resolution tempo slider, a pressure sensitive push button
and a pressure sensitive drag button.  Then you could integrate virtually
anything MIDI into a set.

Those mixers with MIDI clock out are basically worthless -- the Roland
ones make exceedingly spastic guesses at the tempo if you're playing anything
besides 4 to the floor techno or house.  And the tempo tends to float
and flutter if, for instance, a track breaks down to something syncopated
without a steady pulse on beat.  I have a feeling you'd be really embarrassed
if the BPM counter went fluttery on you -- your drum machine (or whatever)
would lose it's mind out in front of god and everybody.