OK,
It takes a bit to get me to post, but here goes...  I'm so sick of this
Black/White thing...  Race is race, and music is music...  The two are in
some ways intertwined but a piece of music is it's own entity, sentient and
soveriegn...  Yes the founding fathers of techno were black, and deserve a
great deal of respect for their accomplishment... I love KDJ's music...  But
I can't help but be bothered that this stereotype, and reverse racism is
being carried on....   To say that to understand soul music you have to be
black, because that's who it was made by and intended for, is like to say
that to understand Christianity you have to be Jewish, because that's who it
was made by and initially intended for (Just an anology)...  The whole thing
sucks....  Ideas are Ideas...  Techno is an Idea...  or if you look at it
Jeff Mill's way, it's beyond an Idea...

Isn't techno constantly refered to as 'future music'???  What about a future
that is void of a separation between races???  It seems that actually many
people are still living in the past... I'm of white skin color &  I love
techno and house....  I ****FEEL**** techno, and house in my soul...  All of
it...  From the hard to the deep (actually more on the deep side)...   Who's
to say who can and can't feel certain music just because of race, color, or
creed???   I may not have lived Curtis Mayfield's life, and neither did
anyone else on this planet, but I can ***FEEL*** his music...  I can feel
what he's talking about, what he's expressing through his music, and his
voice...  The same with Marvin Gaye or Chic, it's the beauty of the human
ability to empathize...  I would never tell Alan Oldham that because he's
not white he can't appreciate My Bloody Valentine or Shoegazer music (which
he loves and respects), or tell Jeff Mills he couldn't do Final Cut because
industrial was a white thing... This is because I refuse to lump sentient
human entities into catagories!!!  Music has no color...  It's like a white
guy getting pissed that Carl Craig remixed 'Moskow Diskow' or 'Problemes De
Amore' because they were "white musics", or to say that giorgio moroder had
no soul.....  Pretty Rediculous Right???  What was techno?? Who and who
stuck in an elevator with a drum machine???  I think you see where I'm
going....   It seems sometimes that for a group of people who spend alot of
time trying to hide their identities or remain 'underground' once it comes
to race it seems everyone's talking, and it's not about all their
influences....

The truth is when it comes to the ***ART*** of making music from the soul,
every soul speaks an individual language and who is anyone to interpret that
message for anyone????  Or to tell anyone what they can or can't feel???
That's just irrational judgementalism.....   Let's just get back to talking
about the music we love and not who can and can't love and feel it.....

My 2 cents...

- sb
One Ear to the Ground Communications
http://www.totheground.com (Coming Soon!!)