> > i'm pretty sure i read somewhere that Derrick took it from a
> > piece of music
> > written by one of his friends, a guy called Michael James or
> > Stuart James.
>
> My copy of 'Strings of Live' says that this track was written
> and produced
> by Michael James and Mayday. On later releases there's just
> Derrick's name.
> I don't have a clue who this Michael James fellow is. Funny
> to know that the
> beside of that record was co-produced by Blake Baxter,
> according to John's
> interview with Blake in Overload.

I just found the following phrase about strings of live drom the R&S website
(which is still running for some reason)

RYTHIM IS RYTHIM - Strings O Life (1987) Without doubt May's best known
piece. An anthem of immeasurable status, written about Martin Luther King.
"When they killed him, they destroyed the hopes and dreams of a generation.
It was about the hope in his message."
Friend Michael James had written the piano piece previously. May took
snippers and created loops. When it was finished, he listened to it
constantly for six days, overtaken by it's mesmeric curves. Oh, and it
originally started off at 80bpm...

[EMAIL PROTECTED]