Jochem Peteri:

the person who is generally credited for being the one who invented dj->ing is kool herc

I guess Thomas Edison could be credited as being the "first DJ". Basically anyone who's played tracks after tracks with 2 turntables in the '20s, '30s or '40s can be that "first" person, but I believe Grasso was the "first" to actually beat-mix 2 records, as
Jay Cee wrote:

"...Francis Grasso, a pioneering club disc jockey credited with first mixing records together in the late 1960's by matching their rhythms.."

-I don't know if any of the Rock'n'Roll or Blues DJs tried to match tempos in the 50's???

Kool Herc took the toasting tradition (from Jamaica) to U.S., and thus influenced the "rapping" culture familiar with the black population in the States.

Proffit