Honestly, if you're really good at math, and that's your thing, you could
probably handle some more fundamental programming environments for music. I
know there are books out there that teach you to build music objects and
program sequences in C code. If you're familiar with C and are good at math
you could probably do well with that. One level up are graphical programming
environments such as cycling '74's MAX/MSP bundle. As I think of it, the way
you're going to be applying numbers to create music may be different than
the way you're thinking about it. Rather than looking into applications of
the numbers in a traditional composition environment, you might find that
you are applying your knowledge of higher math to programming sound
structures and constructing sequencing environments from which you can
compose and manipulate. One list that may be good for this is the microsound
digest I belong to. Don't read it that much myself, but people on the list
do work with numbers (some). Also if you haven't, check out Cycling '74 's
web site for info about the MAX and MSP programming environments. Peace-

DBIT