Hey everybody,

I have now reached the important-life-decisions time of my existence. Graduation will be upon me in a couple short weeks. What next, I've been asking myself. Well, to be honest, I realize for the most part that my academic career has been spent engaging in studies that don't relate to my true artistic passions. My love for techno/electronic music grows by the day as does my desire to be a part of it all. My creative fires need to be stoked before I let life suck away my energies (a phenomenon which I know for a fact to be a reality). So, two important questions:

1. What locations, preferably American, should I be narrowing my focus on? I need a place that has a well-established techno scene and a supportive artistic/cultural atmosphere. Always need something to do, you know? FYI, I'm considering moving to California with my best friend, who has applied to USC and Cal Arts for film. Any key cities out on the west coast? 2. What kind of gear should I consider acquiring? Hardware or software? Which pieces of equipment or programs, specifically? Why? (Let me just add that I would rather work with physical, tangible equipment rather than sit and fiddle with a mouse, but it will all boil down to possibilities, capabilities, and potential.) Do any of you recommend the DJ route? Just so you know, I'm currently into banging, minimal techno (a la T-1000 and Richie Hawtin) but do also have a love for deep grooves and controlled chaos (a la Carl Craig and Claude Young).

I would appreciate any feedback and insights any of you can give me. Be aware that I don't plan on following anyone's advice to the word, but I really need some guidance now. I don't want to make any serious mistakes. Plus, my own ignorance seems to make itself known on a daily basis.

Thanks guys. I hope to be among the ranks sometime in the not-so-distant future.

       Rusty