Damn, I just humiliated myself.....................................;)

|--------+----------------------------->
|        |          [EMAIL PROTECTED]|
|        |          utions.com         |
|        |                             |
|        |          04/25/01 05:03 PM  |
|        |                             |
|--------+----------------------------->

  |       To:     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                                                                |
  |       cc:     313@hyperreal.org
                                                                |
  |       Subject:     Re: [313] Re: ezmlm response/gear talk

Well put, Chris. I WOULD copy this to the list but don't want to hear the
whining about one liners. I am therefore policing myself.

Peace,
Alex

|--------+----------------------->
|        |          <[EMAIL PROTECTED]|
|        |          x.org>       |
|        |                       |
|        |          04/25/01     |
|        |          04:57 PM     |
|        |                       |
|--------+----------------------->

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

  |       To:     313@hyperreal.org
|
  |       cc:
|
  |       Subject:     Re: [313] Re: ezmlm response/gear talk

> emails/day mostly about CD burning software is also
> natural. This is not a production list, and there are many
> other lists better suited to that topic with a membership
> that's more likely to answer your questions, or you can
> just read the FAQs. A lot of people on this list don't care
> about gear. They only care about music. It's best that we
> not alienate them and keep the discussion focused on the
> topic at hand when better forums exist for gear questions.

Personally, I find a few messages about something I may or may not care
about (gear, in this case) to be far less alienating than people telling
me what I am and am not allowed to talk about in a public forum.

I don't see how the absence of an admin actively envorcing rules makes
everyone think it's their job to be list-vigilantes, enforcing the
(intentionally vague, i'd assume) faq as they interpret it.  Note that the
"self policing" mentioned in the faq PROBABLY means "police
yourself." This is, of course, my interpretation. But i find it pretty
hard to believe that anyone could interpret "self police" to mean "police
others." Also, please refer to the line that says "building a gate around
a community is never the answer."

What if i said track IDs shouldn't be allowed, because a large percentage
of the subscribers aren't djs, and don't care for that kind of thing?  Am
I any more right than you?

Not only are abstract discussions of what's on-topic the most off-topic
thing I can think of, they discourage the open dialogue that makes a
mailing list good.

did i humiliate anyone this time?

chris