From: Tom Robbins
Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2001 6:00 AM
To: 313 mailing list
Subject: [313] faceless techno b******s

So recently I was mulling over the way UR and Maurizio/Basic Channel refuse
to be photographed and rarely ever give interviews, and how this
facelessness projects to music consumers and how it adds to the general air
of mystique surrounding the artist. Can anyone point to other bands or
musicians who have employed this tactic, whether they be from the realms of
techno and/or dance music or any other genres? And does anyone have any
points to make on the effect of such a policy?

As a starter for ten, did you know that David Soul (in his pre-Starsky &
Hutch days) used to eke out a living as a singer songwriter called The
Masked Man? He would take to the stage in a mask and cloak because he said
he wanted people to concentrate on the music, although he admits he soon
became better-known for the gimmick rather than his songs.

- Tom