Or they use them to fill in gaps where otherwise they ran out of ideas.
I don't know how many demos and "post-rock" CDs I've listend to that have artists showing off their impressive collection of Arps and Moogs only to have them occasionaly go "bloop" inbetween the guitar parts.

From: Nick Walsh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: 313@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: [313] Global Underground series - HP-DJ mixing
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 17:30:02 +0100 (BST)

I think that's the point with electronic music
entirely. A lot of people that played "real"
instruments think that sequencers and samplers make it
too easy. I think it should allow us to reach
further... It's a pity the mainstream caught on to it
and now everybody uses electronic instruments... They
use them to sound or play like real instruments, the
future is outside of that...

Nick:)
There are no rules.  The only thing I find