Most of the Global Underground CDs are not live mixes at all.
The majority of mix CDs are produced in the studio.
Or in some cases, CD mixers are used. I was shocked when I looked at the
back of Carl Craig's recent Shadow Records mix "Onsumothasheeat." it says he
used two CD players (i believe Pioneer, but i can't recall for sure - i
don't own the CD) and an effects unit for the mix.
Recently, I interviewed Darren Emerson and I asked him whether his last
Global Underground CD was live and he said "I put it all together in the
studio. You're not Djing it."
also, talking about his upcoming Global Underground Singapore release
(coming out in July, recorded new year's eve), Emerson said they recorded
his entire set, then "Listened to what I played and put it all together in
the studio and recaptured the performance. The last one I did on computer,
but (singapore) was half live and half computer. Of course, I've done a few
tricks with ProTools and plug-ins."
He went on to say that "a lot of people do it on the computer, but you don't
get that human feeling, that human filter. However, it can come off as too
polished."

really, i think global underground (as well as many other labels) invests so
much money in these releases (and they sell pretty well), they want
perfection.

on the other hand, there's nothing like a live set. Carl Cox's live CD he
released last year included crowd noises and came off as much more
authentic. but who knows..they probably spruced it up.

tP