Someone actually asked me who Inner City was! I was dumbfounded...all I could do was sing a couple of tunes to them. No luck. No knowledge. I was soaking them up though (need to tell my friends back home). Once in a lifetime experience. Plus Byron Stingely was a nice surprise (eventhough his great falsetto voice was barely audible from where I was down in the crowd).

MEK

From: Nathan John de Yonker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <313@hyperreal.org>
Subject: [313] my boring take on the fhttp://demf
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 13:52:58 -0400 (EDT)

Hey all,

Interesting weekend.

John Acquaviva is quite a character. I thoroughly enjoyed his set except
for the parts where he played 5 horrible records in a row. Two things
though... I think Shades of Jae is probably the ONLY Detroit techno
classic that can seriously piss off a crowd. I swear it's the
anti-Spaztic. He also totally amazed me with that Plus 8-y track with the
"waterfall" sample that morphed into synth. Can anyone ID that? Not only
was it wicked, but it summoned the heaviest rain of Sunday. :>

Inner City was marvelous. I was thinking they'd be way too deep for people
who didn't know where they were coming from. They had it all though.
Presence, crowd involvement, and those catchy, wicked, and sometimes
deliciously cheezy songs. Everytime I hear big fun and good life I sort of
regret my musical upbringing. My sister owned all the inner city stuff of
cassette, and I wonder what I'd be like now if I had appreciated Inner
City, Eazy-E, and New Order, instead of listening to all of that corporate
rock garbage in the late 80's early 90's.. but hey, I was just a kid.

Juan didn't disappoint one bit either. With him staring down one of the
more evil red/brown/black skies I've ever seen, he mixed well, made a
mockery out of No UFO's, and got me dancing the hardest I did all weekend.

I was disappointed with the festival in general, not because of Carol
Marvin or Ford, but for wholly personal reasons I guess. I maybe got to
spend 12 hours total at the festival, and didn't have the energy for
afterparties. Last year, it seemed like a gigantic techno family, and this
year, I barely saw any 313'ers I knew, and didn't get to meet any new
ones. I think I was just always in the wrong place at the wrong time. Poor
me, but I wanted it to be a sort of techno send-off before I move out of
metro-Detroit for good in August...  you can't always get what you want.

n8