----- Original Message -----
From: "Kent williams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "313 list" <313@hyperreal.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2001 7:54 PM
Subject: Re: [313] Richie Hawtin - DE909

> On Wed, 15 Aug 2001, Jayson B. wrote:
> >
> > point VERY well taken.  and i agree.  this brings me to another thing
i've
> > been wondering about:  why is the '303' sound supposedly overused, when
the
> > 909 is not?  Why are people so concerned with making new sounds, yet the
909
> > is an exception?  curious.
> >
> Because the 303 is very much a 'foreground' instrument, which people have
> used over and over again in tracks in a very stereotyped way.  The 303
> is capable of a wider range of sound than people actually use -- there's
> a narrow range of knob values that account for most acid tracks.
>
> The 909 on the other hand is used as a rhythmic bed for other sounds --
> It provides the skeleton for other sounds.  The 909 sounds are practically
> perfect for the application, too, for whatever reason.  Nothing beats
> the 909 kick -- the way that it cuts through a mix with a visceral thump,
> yet doesn't take up too much room in a mix is phenomenal.
>
> As far as the 303 goes, Richie Hawtin has used it more subtly and
tastefully
> than most producers.  There's a lot of synth sounds on his records that
> people don't recognize as 303 because he doesn't use it in full
fart-squawk
> mode.

I think a good example is that when Herbert started making house he was all
about using nothing but samples (except for drum machines). I seem to recall
he was even quoted as saying he knew DJs wouldn't play his records if there
wasn't familiar percussion. You'll notice that even in Glitch where almost
all the percussion has been replaced with synths and odd samples, the kick
is still familiar. There's only so much you can do with a kick drum if it's
still gonna be a kick. To a degree it is irreplacable if you're going to use
one, and to date, most producers have opted for a 909 if using a lower octav
e bassline (to my ears anyway), or an 808 if there's a higher-octave
bassline. This is just a techno generalization of course, and there are
milliions of exceptions.

However, like I was saying the other day about musicality in '01, there's
definitely a broadening of the acceptable percussion noises used these days,
from digging into traditional sample archives and synthesizing/sampling new
glitchy sounds.

Tristan
http://ampcast.com/phonopsia <- Music
http://phonopsia.tripod.com <- Mixes, pics, thought, travelogue & info