I might have quoted the wrong company it could have been victrola (or a
diferent company?? i foget).
but the vibrations of the needle moved a little mirror the reflected light
on to a sensor of sort and that reproduced the sound. maybe this is one of
the theories that helped bring around compact discs??

I saw it in a video in one of my audio classes. the video discussed the
progresson of sound and audio equipment.

I just remember it was a light driven record player and I thaught it was
odd.
I think it was light driven because of patents on convential needles or the
way the sound traveled to the speakers? I forget it was two years ago.