----- Original Message -----
From: "dan robitaille" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <313@hyperreal.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2001 11:58 PM
Subject: [313] re: ambient techno recommendations

> > - Flourescence EP by Space Time Continuum
> Well, there are two techno-ish tracks on this album, and two
> mello ambient tunes which are simply timeless. Other
> recommendations on the Reflective label are Reaganz (highly
> unique yet annoying techno/idm) and Single Cell Orchestra
> (with some AWESOME ambient breaks and some harsh
> techno/idm). There is one thing about the reflective
> releases, it that they are out of print and very hard to
> find. Oh, for the spotters: the holographic imprint on one
> side of the Flourescence release was a series of paperclip
> images.

Single Cell Orchestra was sort-of the American Autechre for a while there. A
bit cleaner, with really nice melodies. There's one Sci-fi CD that's pretty
damn cool. It's got an original Star Trek-ish narative on top of the whole
thing, with good, dark electro beneath.

> Also on the STC kick, IMO Flourescene made up for the
> collaboration with Terrence McKenna, which to this day I
> find to be absolute nonesense. The music was good, the
> chitter about glass pipes and dmt and mckenna's leading the
> rave trip... well, one would have to hear it. Brutal.

McKenna also did a song with The Shamen before that. He was at the height of
his popularity then. I have friend who was really into the whole thing,
heroic doses, DMT elves and the works. He definitely gets points for
originality. However, I think the last thing dance music culture needs is a
guru intellectualizing a bunch of teenagers doing drugs to dance music as
cultural transcendence.

Tristan
http://ampcast.com/phonopsia <- Music
http://phonopsia.tripod.com <- Mixes, pics, thought, travelogue & info