(hi, John!)

Actually, 'Strings' is sampled on track 8, "Alphabeta."

Future2Future is, how to say this, a pleasant pastiche.  An extremely
well done one, of course, after all this is Herbie Hancock we're talking
about, plus a stellar cast (Laswell, Chaka Kahn, C2, Rob Swift, A Guy
Called Gerald, Shorter, Williams, DeJohnette).

The presence of the last three tells you how seriously H2 took this
album.

All the same, from the online samples it still seems to be a bit of
a shopping expedition through the mid and late 1990s (references to
"trip hop," tech-house, ambient jungle, even a bit of broken-beat),
not a breakthrough.  But that is not really a dis, just an observation.

Actually, it might even be a bit of a statement.  Listen to track 6
and you have an essay on why "trip hop" was so damn boring because it
rehashed and smothered the classic jazz rhythm section -- a case where
sampling worked against the grain, not with it.  Just to hammer the
point home, the track is titled "Tony Williams."  So there.

Overall, I like it.  It certainly has more soul than most of the
other tech-jazz fusion stuff out there.  Quite a bit takes off from
the same platform Weather Report launched from -- light'n'funky.

Fred