I had one of the best NYEs I've had for a long time this year at the Plastic
People event. We arrived around 10.30 at the small venue, where we relaxed
with a beer, listening to the Maurizio boys playing old dub for an hour or
so, then headed to the big venue for the rest of the night.

Arrived at Planet 2000 around 11.45 and after checking out the (very
impressive) venue we saw the New Year in to the sound of Pharoah Sanders
playing an epic drawn-out performance of 'My Favourite Things' to an
incredible reaction. Then wandered around for a while, checked out
Weatherall playing dub and dubby techno with Adrian Sherwood which was good
fun, but the highlight of the night for me was Norma Jean Bell's live set.
Very very impressive - she had the crowd in the palm of her hand - singing,
playing soprano sax, working an MPC and playing keys. She was flanked by a
guy on percussion and a guy behind a bank of Rhodes/ synths/ MPC who i
assume was Ayro of Omoa/upcoming Jazzanova remix fame as they performed a
full live version of 'Let This' (from the Omoa sampler) in the middle of the
set - can anyone confirm this??? They finished with 'I'm the Baddest Bitch'
- quality stuff.

We then checked out Dego and Charlie Dark playing broken beat anthems
(Afronaught's 'Transcend Me', P'Taah vs Opaque's 'Crossings' etc) then Theo
Parrish playing some classic Detroit techno ('Strings of Life', 'Good Life'
etc) then Gilles Peterson playing dusty old hip-hop and funk. Very good
night all in all - lovely venue, not too crowded, well organised, nice vibe,
amazing music, good fun...

Cheers,

Tom

:: tom churchill