It is not an issue of Jeff Mills intelligence, it is a matter of style and art. The problem that I have always had with his notes is that it is a second rate attempt to write like Buckminster Fuller. The difference is that Fuller had a distinct and somewhat confusing style of discourse because he wanted to convey a very specific objective message about his experiences in 'universe'. Fuller's style might be harder to navigate at first, but once you understand the style it becomes a very elegant and direct way to communicate ideas.

Mills on the other hand, writes in a style that might very well appear to be similar, but utterly lacks the directness and efficiency. There are definitely good ideas and concepts there, but they are all garbled and hidden by the affected writing style. If he really wanted to communicate ideas, he would do it as simply and as directly as possible.

I have to agree with LKS on this one. If techno would like to be viewed as more than disposable culture, it really needs to properly curate itself. A good first step would be properly written liner notes that place the music in a historical context and provide a clear concept of what the music is about. Detroit does not have London and NYC to consistently lie about its cultural credibility through its mass media arms. There is no VH1 to pound the idea of the "goodness" and authenticity of Detroit in a way there is for classic rock. There will not be a "Derrick May: Behind The Music" in the US.

I have to agree with LKS. I have read his posts to 313 and Afro-Futurism over the years and he is usually right on the money. As far a liner-note writers go, you could do a lot worse than LKS.

Take care,
Mike Taylor