From: Samuel Hobbs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: 313@hyperreal.org
Subject: [313] Jeff Mills stars again
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 12:22:17 -0800 (PST)

I can't imagine a painter being forced to express him/herself using only green. i can't expect a writer to be able to express her/himself only using verbs. i don't know about people's personal experiences while listening to jeff mills play out, but having seen him play as the Wizard last february, and hearing him play as jeff mills after derrick may in november, I am able to cast my vote. As the Wizard, jeff played techno, house, disco, hip-hop, r&b, electro-bass. he seemed like he had fun behind the decks. when he played after derrick may he played hard techno and some house all night. when he played as the wizard, I had more fun, danced harder, and was simply mesmerized by the Wizard show. I wish more dj's didn't feel restricted by genres and felt more free to play what they wanted. i hope that he plays in the us more and specifically more in detroit. i hope that when he plays he isn't restricted by the reputation or "genre-fication" of the venue he is playing. i hope that people let him as an artist and dj do what he wants. i would put money on the fact that if you take a step back and lower your own guard, you will again be mesmerized.

-sam

Dear all
I reckon you hit the nail on the head in your comparison between Mr Mills and Mr May, and I'm sure a lot of people would agree with me, Mr Mills is indeed restricted by his reputation and thus perhaps his imagination. Mr May on the other hand is never one to be short of words, nor for that matter one shy to express his opinion. This is reflected in his choice of music and his ability to entertain, as well as educate a crowd of people. If anybody deserves a more diverse audience it is certainly he. All this hero worship does nothing to improve the music scene and if anything inflates egos to such a level as is displayed in most of the traffic displayed on these pages in the last few months. Just to clarify Mr Mills is an excellent DJ and has inspired many, but politics in house music, lets leave that to those insecure megalomaniacs that run our governments. Ultimately no individual is greater than the art or whatever artform they aspire to. I hope this stimulates some interesting debate and perhaps we can then enjoy the music rather than idolising false gods.
Cheers
Shosh  ;©)