----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <313@hyperreal.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2002 8:33 AM
Subject: Re: [313] educating the kiddies -> DC -> GoGo (now OT)

> If you haven't already, read "Funk : The Music, the People, and the Rhythm
> of the One" by Rickey Vincent. It covers some GoGo groups like Trouble
Funk
> while exploring the history and players of funk music. Apparently, GoGo
was
> difficult to sell commercially - it didn't translate well to other regions
> and as a result is now almost extinct (though I think Vincent does mention
> that there are still GoGo groups playing around DC in a retro - "remember
> when" kind of way). It's a great book. I was pleased to see underrated
> groups like Mandrill included and getting the praise they deserve.

I wouldn't say it's such a retro thing in DC as an indigenous music. I've
only been here a little while, but it seems very much a living part of the
culture with new influences bearing on it all the time, including some jazz,
r+b and hip hop collaborators. There's a prime time Sunday night radio show
still devoted to it here, and it still gets play in clubs. I can see how it
wouldn't be commercially viable though.

One thing I have yet to figure out is that all of the amazing DC street
drummers (like the old levis commercial, using buckets and what-not) are
sometimes referred to as go go as well. Maybe I've just talked to confused
people??? BTW - many of these drummers have full trap sets of buckets -
something that trully needs to be witnessed first-hand.

Tristan
http://www.mp313.com <- Music
http://www.metrotechno.net <- DC techno + more
http://www.metatrackstudios.com <- DC DJ/Production studios