Hello,

Last week CJAM had a pledge drive. This has been a dilemma for me for
the last couple weeks because I had to directly ask for money for the
music I was playing. It got me thinking about why public radio is
important for the community at large and for music in general. The
reason why public radio is important is that individuals are actually
in control of the culture. I make my own decisions about what I am
going to play, if I feel that a recording is important, it will hit
the air. My playlists are not determined by soundscan sales figures,
commerical interests, or demographic market research. If I feel it,
it is going to hit the air.

Recently, sections of the international music press has been
reporting that Detroit Garage Rock is saving Rock music. Last month
Mojo put Detroit locals The White Stripes on their cover and said
that they were the best live band in the world. The BBC has reported
that Detroit Garage Rock has caused the biggest stir in the rock
scene since Punk exploded in 1977. Strangely enough, there has been
hardly any notice of this in the mainstream press in Detroit.

I devoted the first hour of my show to records that you should never
play on an electronic music show. It might not be my format, but I
played them to make a point. Public radio gives me the freedom to
play what I feel is important without the restrictions placed upon
DJ's on the corporate radio stations. You might not listen to Current
to hear the MC5, but you should be thankful that you can hear
something like that on the radio, because WDVD and WDRQ certainly do
not allow their DJ's the opportunity to do adventurous radio.

I want to say thank you to everyone in Detroit who is listening to
the show and who thinks that music is more imporant than business. I
have been wondering if people are feeling what I am playing, and this
week I found out that they are. Most shows with better time slots
were lucky to reach half their expected pledge quotas. Current hit
its quota with just US contributions, and went well beyond that with
Canadian contributions. That is amazing for a show that late at
night, at the very end of the pledge week. Once again, thanks for
supporting the music.

Anyway, enough of my jabbering...

430 West recording artists Octave One will be appearing on the show
next week. They have been on the scene since Techno 2 comp on
10/Virgin records. It should prove to be an interesting interview. I
hope you will join us.

Current Playlist 02.16.02:

Hour One:

White Stripes-Hotel Yorba (Hotel Yorba) LX Records
Eddie Cochran-Teenage Heaven (Eddie Cochran Vol. 1)EMI
Patsy Cline-I fall to Pieces (Greatest Hits) MCA
Hank Williams-Cold, Cold Heart (Greatest Hits) Candlelight
Eddie Cochran-Nervous Breakdown (Eddie Cochran Vol.1) EMI
MC5-Rambling Rose (Kick Out The Jams) Electra
The Stooges-TV Eye (Funhouse) Electra
Dead Boys-Sonic Reducer (Young, Loud, and Snotty) Sire
The Stooges-Search and Destroy (Raw Power) Columbia
Wire-12xu (Pink Flag) Harvest
Velvet Underground-Heroin (The Velvet Underground and Nico) Verve
Pere Ubu-Final Solution (Termial Drive) DGC
13th Floor Elevators-You're Gonna Miss Me (Psychedelic Sounds of...)
International Records
The B-52's-Planet Clare (B-52's) Warner Bros
The Clash-This Is Radio Clash (Clash On Broadway) Sony/Epic
My Bloody Valentine-What You Want (Loveless) Warner Bros.

Hour Two:

Section 25-From A Hilltop (From The Hip) Polygram
Drexciya-Digital Tsunami (Harnessed The Storm) Tresor
Adult-Nasea (Nausea EP) Ersatz Audio
I-F-Floating Away In a Hole Darker Than Yours (Man From PACK) Disko B
Boards Of Canada-An Eagle In Your Mind (Music The The Right...) Warp
Monolake-Cubicle (Cinemascope) Imbalance Computer Music/EFA
Arovane-Icol Verne (Icol Distan) Din

Current is a radio show dedicated to promoting the finest electronic
music from Detroit and  across the globe. Current broadcasts in the
Detroit/Windsor metropolitan area on Saturday evenings from Midnight
to Two AM on CJAM 91.5 FM. Current can be heard across the planet in
streaming format at: http://zeus.uwindsor.ca/cjam/index.html

Thanks again to everyone who supports underground electronic music in
Detroit.

Take care,
Mike Taylor
[EMAIL PROTECTED]