That Pow Wow release of "Late Night" was just mastered at very low
volume.  I actually play the DJ Pierre mix from that a lot, but
the faders always are on 10 :)

A lot of Red Planet material also fades in.  I've always guessed
that the point Mike and Jeff were trying to make is that it's
important for the DJ and the DJ's needs such as mixing convenience
not to be the center of attention always -- the music is the center
of attention.  And if I work a little harder to mix in "Late Night"
or "Particle Shower" and do a good job of it, it feels like more of
an accomplishment and honors the music that much more.

phred