From: "Mark S Flintoft" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "313" <>
Subject: [313] (313) Fade In Techno / re-edits
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 04:19:37 -0500

Exactly my point Tristan...

As anyone who knows me knows I am long-time fan and friend of one D.
Tenaglia.  Though I am disappointed with the progressive shite he's been
playing of late - thankfully here in NYC @ Vinyl he doesn't actually play as
much of that as I'm told he does abroad.  Danny has been doing subtle
re-edits,  with Pro-Tools,  of all manner of tracks,  burning them on CD-R
and using them in his sets for like 4 years now.  I love it when I hear
something out on the dancefloor that I love and it's just a bit different
(and a lot of times even better)!  At this point I would say he spins about
50% CDs and most of them are tailored by him,  for him,  as well.  A couple
of DT's edits that stand out in my mind are a nice one of Microworld's
Signals,  and a version of the original mix of Plastic Dreams that ditches
all the cheesy piano crap at the end and stretches the 'good' part out quite
a bit.  It's a great way to mark yourself out from the pack IMHO - even if
the only ones picking up on it are the few of us really know the music.
Once I actually get my Sony VAIO set up right I plan on burning some edits
of my own.  I quite fancy extended versions of some of my favorite Mills
tracks.

i think it's cool to go into the studio and do an unofficial remix of a track, which you can then play out on dubplate or CD, but only if you do something really interesting with it (new samples, bassline etc) ...but if it's just going to be a basic re-edit, why not just do live remixing with 2 copies of the 12"? isn't that what djing is supposed to be about? i spin oldskool hardcore/jungle, however, so what do i know about techno mixing =)

i'm not sure what all the fuss is about those tracks that start with fades ? lots of my favorite tracks start like that (maybe it's more common in oldskool jungle), and if i want to mix quick, i just skip the fade and go straight to the first drop, or just bring it in right off the top, once the beats are locked - sometimes those jungle producers would do funny chaotic things with the tracks though... stops and starts, multiple breakdowns, vocals, changeups, etc etc -which means you have to really know your records

Liam

<-Recoil
hardcore * jungle * drum and bass
Toronto, Canada