I think Ms. Potts and myself were the only [313]ers in attendance, so I'll
try and give a rundown, although not strictly [313]. The first night was
held in an art gallery. I use that term loosely, as it was a loft in the
middle of Baltimore on the 3rd floor with a really unusual elevator.

It was interesting. Clearly the organizers segmented the nights by feel.
Friday was extremely experimental, Saturday pumped up the bass. A good
example of the vibe was when Richard Chartier played and asked for silence.
His music is extremely minimal (in the Mille Plateux sense), incorporating
silence at seemingly long intervals at times, and perhaps better suited to
the headphones. But the crowd reaction when he was done was proof positive
that obscure live shows need a home, even if in odd conditions.

Chris Sattinger followed as Timblind, doing some really crazy Max/MSP
f*ckery that rounded out the evening well. Everyone really enjoyed his set.
I'm not too familiar with the earlier performers, but the vibe of the whole
night was very positive, despite the challenging nature of the music. This
was really surprising and encouraging. I really think the indie rock to
electronic music tie needs to be stregthened more. There's a mass of
open-minded listeners out there waiting for exposure to interesting techno.
Thrill Jockey and Matador have solidified this bond.

Saturday, I arrived @ Ottobar just as "Diskette" booted up. Wow! IDM fans
keep an ear tuned to the oncetwice label for his full-length. You won't be
dissapointed. "While" followed with a very melodic, almost MBV meets
Takemura style. Excellent stuff!

I'd never seen Cex before, despite being so near to his home in Baltimore.
This set was *very* unusual, even for him. We knew something was up when he
sat down and lowered the mic next his laptop. He started with a 5-minute
speech explaining that he'd played at Ottobar just on Tuesday, and had a
hectic live performance schedule for the last month leading up to oncetwice,
so he was going to do something different. And different it was. He played
some music very low in the background while reading two short stories he'd
written - one about 9/11 and the other about a woman who keeps a journal. He
prefaced all of this by explaining how he tries his best to do a show that
risks him feeling like he was dead, and if he's not doing that, it isn't
worth it - forgive the paraphrasing. I wish there was a transcript of what
he said somewhere, b/c it was off-the-cuff, but brilliant. The stories were
nuts, but fun, mostly about flying buildings, and really unique for a live
show. He finished off by making weird faces as he raised the volume on the
last song and tweeked for a while. Fun!!!

Tomas Jirku played a really diverse glitchy techno/house set that got the
crowd out of their laptop-watching daze. Safety Scissors followed with lots
of mock-German vocals over his typical click'&cuttery, and then Sutekh
finished things off with a building click&cuts into techno set. It was all
very nice, and by the end of Tomas's set,the dancefloor was sold. There
wasn't a moment I wasn't happy to be there on either day. I can't wait for
the follow-up in DC tomorrow.

Tristan
Upcoming Gigs:
4/14/02 - Filler @ Blue Room, Adams Morgan, DC