I've always seen techno as being "the music of the future" in the sense that
it's *about* the future rather than destined to be the mainstream music
everyone listens to in 2007 or whenever. But even still, in the time I've
been involved in electronic music (about 12 years or so) there's been a
definite trend towards increasing acceptance of it; even the nu-rock bands
tend to have someone working on synths or samples, which was almost
unthinkable in the late 1980s when there was a more solid partition between
"real" and "electronic" music. The fluctuations of the last year or two
don't have any effect, I reckon, on the development and acceptance of techno
as a genre.

Besides, the majority of adolescent and post-adolescent kids will *always*
like heavy guitar music, whether its heavy rock, grunge, nu-rock, punk, emo,
indie-rock or any of the other names people apply to that genre. I'd be
interested to see a psychological study, in fact, on just why it is that
power chords appeal to much to the teenage psyche? Whenever I meet fans of
hard metal, I always play them fairly abrasive techno records to see if
those sounds have the same effect as guitars, and they never really do.
Until electronic music manages to better the sound of a mouldy old guitar
screaming hell for leather on a dusty Marshall amp, hard rock will forever
dominate the souls of the young... :)

Brendan

Legal Disclaimer

the individual named.  If you are not the named addressee you should not
disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.  Please notify the sender
this e-mail from your system.
mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as
incomplete, or contain viruses.  The sender therefore does not accept
liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message that
arise as a result of e-mail transmission.  If verification is required
please request a hard-copy version.  This message is provided for
informational purposes only.
our website at: http://www.widelearning.com

Wide Learning is a trading name of Wide Multimedia Ltd Registered office:
33-41 Dallington Street, London EC1V 0BB
Company number: 3339664 VAT number: 690 8399 83